Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Goodbye Binkies.....my beloved friend

Right before we left...they were so happy to have the binkie during the day....



For Family Home Evening last night we said goodbye to our beloved binkies. For almost 2 1/2 years our girls have slept every night and every nap with a binkie in their mouths. They have saved us from many sleepless nights and helped everyone enjoy church because we could put a binkie in to get them quiet. I have loved these little things and so have my girls. It has no gotten to the point where they don't want to give them up in the morning and they whine about them when they are sad during the day. And they are 2 1/2 right? We have to give them up sometime. I don't want them to think that they can steal their siblings binkies ( when we have another, no I am not preggo.) We have been wanting to give them up for a while but there was always something. Ok when they turn 1 we will take them away. No how about 2. Ok after vacation....now after girls camp. There was always something. They were just getting big and it was time. So we went to Dollar Tree and bought some ballons and tied the binkies to them and let them float away up high. This way they aren't mad at me or the trash or whatever.
At first they were a little hesistant. We had been talking it up for days and told them how big they were. They knew that they had to let them go but they were a little hesistant.



Here Doug is talking it up to them and telling them where they were going to go.


A few false starts...it probably took them about 10 minutes or so to let them go. My heart was a little sad...my babies are growing up!! And what will happen tonight when I try to put them to sleep!!


Can't give it up.....


And here goes Audree's....she was happy at first.....


Flying away...


And of course Olivia now wanted hers to fly away....




They were ok....saying "Bye Binkies" And waving...but look at sweet Audree....


And then the relization......my BINKIE!! She just started to cry....







We let them play on the playground for a few minutes and got them a ballon to take home too.




So how did they sleep?



I have SCREAMING pictures of both of them but I felt mean posting them. They both cried for about 15 minutes with us going in there to comfort them every so often. And finally doug went and held them both and tucked them in and not a peep after that!! SWEET!
However and 6:45 this morning they were both screaming ( they ussually sleep in until 7:30 or 8:00) I regreted my decision a little. What was the rush? Why did I do this? Guess I have to stick to my guns now.....Even though Audree almost wouldn't fall asleep today for naps....I am sadder than she is!
I hope I haven't ruined our perfect nap time...We will see...

We have had this conversation about 10 times today
A or O: "Where's my binkie?"
Me: Where did it go?
A or O: Up in the sky!
Me: Yep your a big girl now!!

Onto the next big girl thing....POTTY TRAINING!!

22 comments:

Shawna said...

That is too funny that you posted this. I am going to get rid of Sydney's binkie in a few weeks when we get back from vacation. I couldn't leave her at my sister's without it. I want my sister to still like me when we get back. This is also the exact same way that I was going to do it for Sydney. I think she'll understand it a lot better if she's involved. I'm glad you posted this so that I can see how it went for your cute girls. Their little faces are so sweet watching them fly away. I cry when I think about my daughter not having it. She's had it every day from day one and I think I might be more attached to it then she is... She won't be my baby anymore!

Heather said...

What a cute and memorable way to ditch the binks. Hang in there!

Allison said...

LEAH!!! That is such an awesome way to kick that habit!! I am totally going to use that if I ever have a binki baby!!

Eric and Aubrey said...

That's hilarious! You're so creative!

Jill said...

That is really crative and it was TOTALLY time! I didn't know they still used binkies. Isn't it bad for their teeth after the first year? Tell yourself that's true, even if it isn't, so you wont be tempted to buy new binkies for naptime!

Rubalcavas said...

That was such a good idea! Aren't the joys of motherhood great...potty training the the worst part for me.

Ryan and Chelsea said...

What a cute way to wean your kids off the binkie! Let me know if you have any creative ways to potty train--I need to get going with my youngest!

quadmom said...

Leah, that is the cutest post ever!!! What a great idea to have their binkies float away on balloons. You are such a great mom! You'll have to check out my post on Greer again. I finally finished it this morning with comments on each picture, etc. Let's get together soon!

lofgreenlegacy said...

Hey Leah, these are the cutest pics of your girls saying goodbye to their binkies. I just took Kyra's away in March and I too cried. It's so sad that they have to grow up. But now when I ask Kyra where her bap (that is what she called it) is she has no idea what I'm talking about. Good Luck! Thanks for the awesome pics! I LOVE THEM!

Madame Mauri said...

That is a very creative way to give up the binkies. I loved the pictures too. I am so thankful for Toa's binkie, or I would have had even less sleep than I have gotten. Good luck with the transition. :)

Jennie said...

Yay for big girls! You did the right thing Leah...and how creative too!

It will be hard for the first week, but it will get better!

Cam said...

Leah, you're such a great Mom!! Hope to be just a great when I have kids. We need to get together sometime soon! Hope you are doing well.

Sarah S. said...

You got some priceless pics. I love the one with the binkie in her mouth and the baloons tied to it. Giving up the binkie is such a big deal for the kids but especially for mom. You'll love it after. No more trying to find their binkies anymore. Cute post.

Angie said...

Awww. Those pictures made me kind of sad. It's so tough to see your little ones grow up. I hope they adjust quickly to life without binkie and get back to a good sleeping schedule!

BTW, you are so dang creative. I remember a while back you asked about getting rid of binks, so I thought you had already done it. I love how you chose to do it!

Are you still walking in the mornings? We went this morning at 7 and it was nice out! I almost stopped by your house to drag you guys with us, but wasn't sure what state of sleep A & O would be in.

Lacey said...

Oh Leah, I feel for you, that is a sad day for both mommy and child. I can remember having to do that with Ally and it was so not fun. Good luck and hopefully it won't take them long to adjust.

LucyH said...

I wish I could tie Anders thumb to a balloon and let if fly away. He just loves sucking his thumb, BUT can't take it away!

Jen said...

That is a great idea!

Binghams said...

You're so cute! And you are welcome in my home anytime so the next time you come down please come by! Hopefully we'll be in by then!

Ashlee Draper said...

Cute idea! They are getting so big!!!

Sarah S. said...

Leah, can you photo shop the marshmallow out of Avery's tu-tu in the second picture. I know we talked about it and you thought it would be doable. Maybe it didn't work, let me know.

Unknown said...

This is a great post its like a storybook with pictures and everything. Your kiddos are so cute.

Mary Ann said...

love the creative idea and great pictures! i would regret my decision too if my girls woke up that early!! good luck!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!
Call us and recieve a discount! 480-718-9820 www.theACdoctors.com

Little Livie

Little Livie
Sassy, spirited 3 year old

The Girls

The Girls

Mr. Clark

Mr. Clark
1 week old

The boys

The boys

Mr. Grant

Mr. Grant
1 week old

Blog Archive

Sweet Audree

Sweet Audree
Fun loving 3 year old

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

My Sweet Family

My Sweet Family