Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Big Girls...Try to get Potty Trained.....

My Sister in law Ali reminded me that I only have 5 months to get these girls out of diapers before the next one comes. So....it is the time for the dreaded potty training. They have been ready for awhile, but I haven't been. We have been trying for a week and as long as I remind them to go every 30min to 1 hour or so they go no problem. If they get distracted they have accidents. And we tried to potty train at my sister-in-laws house the other day....there were many accidents.
Someone who has done this before tell me what to do? Are there any books I should read? Any awesome tips that anyone has? HELP a PREGO girl out!




Here are the girls playing in a box.....didn't we all do this? This is from my new dishwasher....exciting huh!! And I also got a new microwave that goes over the stove instead of on the counter.


A & O have been saying some cute things lately...O told me the other day that I was being REDICULOUS! HA!
And A told me that she was "Too sick" to put away her dress ups......nice one.....they sure grow up quick!

17 comments:

Loree said...

good luck leah! You've already heard my advice. it is no good. potty training is my LEASt favorited part of toddlerhood. maybe you can teach me :) your girls are so funny and say the funniest things! Have a great day and thanks again for helping me with blake! you are a great friend :)

Shawna said...

Sydney is at the exact same stage, doing the exact same things. I'm not one to ask for advice though, my son took about a year to train.
Sydney is a jelly belly freak so she gets 1 if she pees and 2 if she poops. It seems to be working if there is a lot of reminders, like what you were saying. I think if I just keep reminding her she'll catch on by herself. In fact Sydney came running to me today saying, "the pee is starting"! and barely made it to the potty. I think the fact she recognized it on her own was a big deal, and she was able to hold it before she had an accident. Just give it some time, they'll catch on, they're so smart and adorable might I add!

Monica said...

If you figure it out, pass the secret along!! Good luck! They are so cute and so grown up....I swear it was just yesterday that we sitting at enrichment tying quilts and you leaned over and told me you were a couple months prego with twins.....!!By the way, what camera are you rolling with these days?! Your photos are looking awesome!!

Unknown said...

Ditto to everyone else. If you find a secret - let me know! Good Luck!

Jennie said...

Wow Leah, they sound like they are doing great already. Give yourself a pat on the back!

We let the girls pick out whatever underwear they wanted. We wante them to be excited about it.

Another tip is to get a little timer that rings or beeps (whichever) and set it for every 30 min. That way, when the timer goes off, you'll stop what you're doing and they will hear the sound reminding them too. It worked great for us. Once Raelyn started doing a little better, we'd set the timer for 45 min.

For both girls we gave them 1 m&m for pee and 2 for poo. This really worked for Brynlee, but Rae was more about the praise then the candy.

Also, are they wearing diapers for naps? If they are, when they wake up dry, or even if they are wet, take them to the potty first thing when they wake up. Do this for naps and in the morning. Limit their drinks at bed time to just at dinner and then one little "last drink" sip or two right before bed. Don't let them sleep with sippys because they'll sip away into continually peeing at night.

Also, plan on not going anywhere with them for about 2 weeks. Seriously, cut out everything that doesn't ABSOLUTELY have to be done and stay at home (do your errands when Doug can watch them at home if you must get out). Don't worry, it won't last forever, and 2 weeks is a good time frame for everyone in the family to get used to the new potty awareness. After that, they'll be more aware of their body and urges and might even be able to remind you at the store.

But bring extra sets of clothing just in case when you do start venturing out.

Remember, they're already so close. Really, you are so lucky that they are willing pupils! Brynlee was difficult because she didn't want to even though she was ready. Good luck! Miss you!

quadmom said...

Leah, those pictures of your girls in the box are too cute!! Thanks so much for a wonderful girls night out last night. It was much needed. I'm so glad we're friends. Love you!

LucyH said...

Don't give up, and keep them in underwear no matter how many accidents. Like Jennie said, get a timer of some sort so you don't forget and make the potty sound like the most fun and enjoyable thing in the world.

Bobs said...

My daughter was way harder then my son. I won't go into detail but I have found that pull-ups don't work. They are a waist of time and money. The timer worked for my son. I do agree you can't really go anywhere for about a week. Put them in underwear and just remind them when it's time to go. If they have an accident make them accountable by having them help you clean it up. They need to realize that they are in control and responsible to take care of their messes. Once my daughter realized that she stopped having accidents. Good luck! This is not a fun thing to go through but the pay off is worth it!

Rachel M said...

Potty training! Fun times! No matter how much "fun" your having just remember they'll figure it out atleast before Kindergarten. And no one gives you an award for getting your kids potty trained, so don't stress over it too much:)
Good luck!

Jill said...

I have the answer for all of you. http://www.3daypottytraining.com/

It's a 3 day potty training plan that TOTALLY works! I was so happy with it. 3 days and it's all positive and happy. It costs $24 but so worth it. Someone actually emailed it to me for free but if you read the first page you see that it should actually be paid for.

Anyway- loved it! Swear by it!

Allison said...

Potty training is so not fun!!! What I did for my kids and they were all trained with in a few days....is take them every 45 min the first day, every hour the next and every 1.5 hours the next...its such a pain and you have to stay home, but for some reason it worked on all my kids...and they all had very few accidents. Good luck...Potty training stinks!!! ha ha!!

Crissie said...

Hi Leah. If the girls continue to have accidents, my suggestion is to take off the underwear and have them go naked for a few days (or as much as possible). Even though underwear is different than diapers, they still feel like they have something to pee into when they have underwear on. When they are naked, they don't have anything to pee into, and nobody likes the feeling of peeing into nothing! It worked like a charm with Dallin. Especially with poop training. He pooped one time on the floor and decided that he did NOT like that. If you did the timer idea along with the going naked idea (if needed), I'll bet you'll see some success. Good luck!

Crissie

Celissa said...

I know nothing about potty training and think I never want to do it again. Too bad I have 2 more to go, one pretty soon! Rebekah called me about getting together, probably Monday or Wednesday would be the best. See you soon!

Amber H. said...

Here is my tip, but you probably won't like it! Since you are so close to having your baby, anything you do will probably be undone once your baby comes. I don't know anyone who had continued success once they had a new baby unless the training was done before the mom got pregnant. They see mommy paying so much attention to the baby that they regress and start having accidents. I would just say wait until after the baby, but it isn't fun to have three in diapers. I know that from experience, but I would have rather done that than clean accidents all day! Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope if you get them trained that they won't go back once baby comes!

Boston Paynes said...

The book Potty Training In a Day helped us a lot and I would HIGHLY recommend plastic/vinyl training pants to go over their undies for when you need to go out or are at someone elses house and don't want them to pee all over the carpet. I ended up getting mine online (Gerber makes them). Good luck... I HATE POTTY TRAINING !!

Carl and Starla said...

Leah, I love seeing what your cute, cute fam is up to every now and then! We have gone private, if you would like to be invited, please email us your email address to Carl: csevans1@memphis.edu

Thanks!

Smith Family said...

Not like I know anything about this, but I've heard of two books that are supposed to be good - Toilet Training in Less Than a Day by Nathan Azrin and Potty Training 1-2-3 by Gary and Anne Marie Ezzo. Good luck! I didn't call you before the Family Fun Van because I wanted to check it out first before I recommended it in case it was lame. It's mon - thurs at different schools around town. You can check out the schedule on the link on my blog or just come with us on Wed at Stevensen at 10:00! That would be fun! I need to call you to set up a picnic with you guys for Doug doing our air cond. and to see if you've still saved us a picture time in November!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!
Call us and recieve a discount! 480-718-9820 www.theACdoctors.com

Little Livie

Little Livie
Sassy, spirited 3 year old

The Girls

The Girls

Mr. Clark

Mr. Clark
1 week old

The boys

The boys

Mr. Grant

Mr. Grant
1 week old

Blog Archive

Sweet Audree

Sweet Audree
Fun loving 3 year old

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

My Sweet Family

My Sweet Family