Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I'm teaching Enrichment on Thursday!:)


I am teaching a photography class to the ladies in my ward. I am little nervous and wanted to run my handout by you all. Please check for spelling, things that don't make sense, or any other tips you have. I definatly not a pro, but am happy to share what I know! There are picture examples to go along with these as well. :) I'm just too lazy to upload them all:)



Photography Tips

Lighting
Natural light is best!
Don’t use your flash to reduce red eye. Move subject more to the light.
Best time of day to shoot indoors is 9-4
Garages and Doorways are great
Close to a window
North Facing big windows are best
Look around your home during different times of day to see the best lighting
Outdoor shooting is best 1-2 hours before sunset in open shade area.
You can use a reflector to bounce the light off the subject

Posing
Make sure it’s a good time of day for your subjects
Arrange heads at different levels watch for visual triangles
Have subjects srunch together before
Take pictures from different angles
Simple Props-Chair, stool, bean bags for newborn
Set up poses and let the subjects interact

Composition
Refocus and compose
Rule of thirds-try and have the subject a little off to the side instead of dead center
Be aware of your backgrounds

Ways to get attention and smiles
Bathroom Humor:)
Give us a big kiss!
Animal noises
Cover the penny
Where’s your tummy
Look in the lens...what do you see?
Show me...an emotion (happy)
How old are you?

What to wear
Something that suits your personality. Bright colors, or black and white work well too. For family sessions, colors with similar tones work great. Try to avoid busy patterns, and cartoon characters on clothing.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Leah, that looks great. No grammar errors. Excellent! I loved reading it also, because I am really liking the idea of getting more into Photography. So thanks for the great tips!
Sarah

Amber H. said...

"Have subjects srunch together before"...wasn't sure if srunch was a grammar error? Maybe it's just a fancy word I don't know? I wish I could come to your enrichment to get some great tips from you! I bet you'll do awesome :o) Thanks for the tips you posted!

Jennie said...

I would just describe what triangles you're talking about when posing people.

You can use the following if you like about clothing choices. Clothing really can make or ruin the pic. Since I used to have to tell people this EVERYday when I worked at Brandt Photography, this is what I used to tell them:

Think of solid color shirts, and in the darker jewel tones, navy, maroon, emerald green, and of course brown, black and grey etc. Everyone can wear matching or you can do a variety of these darker colors. These colors are great at keeping the lightest thing in the portait, the FACES of individuals. Any patterns will distract the eye away from looking at the face first. This is especially important when doing outdoor photos because there is already a lot of stuff going on in the background. If anyone is wearing a white shirt in the pic among darker colored shirts...that white shirt will be the first thing that attracts your eye whenever you look at the portrait. Thus, a no-no!

Whites/pastels should only be used when the background is as light at the outfit, such as a white background or on the beach etc. This way, the face is usually darker than everything else in the portrait, and thus stands out the best once again.

Hope this helps! Good luck!! I already learned a little more just by reading your outline!

Wolfingtons said...

Looks good. You'll have to demonstrate your attention getters. I love watching and listening to you - especially when your shooting babies:)

Leah said...

Thanks everyone! I really appriciate the tips:)

Jen said...

I hope it went well. I am sure it did. there is a lot of good info in your post!
Jennifer

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!
Call us and recieve a discount! 480-718-9820 www.theACdoctors.com

Little Livie

Little Livie
Sassy, spirited 3 year old

The Girls

The Girls

Mr. Clark

Mr. Clark
1 week old

The boys

The boys

Mr. Grant

Mr. Grant
1 week old

Blog Archive

Sweet Audree

Sweet Audree
Fun loving 3 year old

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

My Sweet Family

My Sweet Family