
It's time....they will be 2 next week and they are crying for them throughout the day when they get sad. We only use them at bed/nap times and in the car.
Should we go somewhere and throw them in the trash....should we give them to a baby? Help!!! All you mothers who have done this before please tell me what worked for you!!



9 comments:
Hey Leah,
I don't know if you remember seeing it on my blog, but we did the binky fairy. We told the girls that they had to leave their binky's for the binky fairy and they would get a prize. We had them hang them from the front door, and when they woke up they each had a new pony and a thing of candy that the binky fairy left. Whenever they asked for their binky's we would just say, remember the binky fairy took them! and they were fine with it. It worked great for us though! Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with whatever you decide to do! My girls were 3 when we got rid of theirs, so maybe our transition was a little easier because of that? I don't know, except that it worked great! You can also use the same thing for potty training...leave the diapers by the door and they get new panties and other prizes. Good luck!
They say that at 6 months babies start to get attached to things. So as hard as it was I hid them at 6 months (that is just in case you want to get rid of it earlier next time). But I think the best thing is to just throw them away. THey will not stay good until the next child and other children shouldn't use them since they are inexpensively replaced anyways. It will be fine and they will get over it. Just distract them when they want it and tell them that they are big girls! Good luck!
I had a friend that snipped the very end with a pair of scissors. Just enough so that when they suck on the binky the nipple goes flat. It's worked for a couple of others too. I guess it doesn't feel very good and they don't like it enough to where they don't want it anymore. My Sydney will be 2 on the 20th and believe it or not we have been instructed to keep her ON the binky by our Pediatric dentist. Weird huh! I guess she is developing an under bite and somehow the binky is helping her bite to not be soo bad. I told him I'd stick to it if it will help save me on an Orthodontic bill in the future. He just has to be the one to answer all the weird looks I get from other mom's when she's 6 and still on a binky!
We took Avery's binkie away the day after she turned two! We didn't come up with any excuses or stories other than going cold turkey. We put her to bed that night and when she asked for it, we just told her it was all gone. I don't know if a story about a binkie fairy or trying to give her an explanation would have worked or if she even would have understood it. It worked perfect for us. She continued to ask for it over the next few weeks every once in a while but was totally satisfied with our answer of it just being "all gone." Good luck!
I just told each of my kids that they were big kids and didn't need it anymore. I let them throw it in the trash themselves so they knew that it was "all gone". Good luck!
I don't know...but as a new mom- when Rylan DID take a passifier it was a wonderful little trick to keep him quiet and happy and best of all fall asleep ( I wish it still worked)!!! Whats the problem with them??? Maybe they will grow out of them on their own!!! I had a thumb sucking issue when I was about the age of your girls and my parents told me that if I quit sucking my thumb they would take me to toys r us and buy me anything I wanted....luckily for them I chose a $5 clearance Rainbow Brite doll over a brand new bike!! What was I thinking??!! Anywho my parents claimed it worked and it was "my choice" instead of them forcing me-- but I guess that they couldn't have taken my thumb away-!! good luck! MONICA
Go to my blog and click on my link to Nate and Courtney's blog. She did this same post a few days ago and got lots of feedback.
We cut the end off of Jaden's paci's and them gave them to her whenever she asked. She couldn't suck on them because there was nothing there to suck on but it was sure fun to watch her try. We told her they were broken and eventually she threw them away. She only went through withdrawls for a few days and was fine. I did feel bad for my sitter one evening. Jaden asked her for a paci and when the sitter handed her the paci with the end cut off she threw it at the sitter. Its a hard thing to go through and YOU will probably miss it as much as them but you will be glad you did it. On the other hand one of our friends in Boston's parents are phsycologists and they both said there is nothing wrong with having the child give it up on his own. Good Luck !!
Hey Leah. Kiley was our worst binky user. She loved it. We told her that if she could give it away to another baby then we would take her to the pool the next day. (The pool part obviously wouldn't work right now, but you get the idea.) It worked for her, but for Ryan and his bottle we just had to throw them all away and cut him off, explanations got us nowhere.
Post a Comment