Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tribute to my Grandmother

My grandmother passed last night at 7:20 after battling Lung cancer for the past 8 months. Grandpa gathered everyone around her around 7:00 and the family was able to sing "Love at Home" as she passed. Could there be a more perfect passing? My grandpa was giving a blessing by his sons shortly thereafter. We have know this has been coming for a while, it is bitter sweet though. She got to celebrate 60 years with her husband on this earth....and more in the eternities.

Here they are on their wedding day! She totally fit into that dress her whole life too...cool huh!


My sweet father wrote this about his mother...
"Leona was a very noble women. We asked her what her favorite calling was and she said "Being the mission Pres wife". She loved the missionaries as I'm sure you love our son. The only difference was that they were less expensive. She was fearless when it came to missionary work. She lead the mission in handing out copies of the Book of Mormon. When Chris' grandfather was bishop and stake president, they had 1 or 2 extra non-related children living with them all the time. A total of 32 extra children lived in their home, 16 of them living there for more than 2 years. She was the "mother of the world." When Kenyon was temple President, they had never felt closer. Kenyon gave over 1200 patriarchal blessings and Leona typed them all, including Chris'"







I was talking to Doug the other night about all the wonderful memories I have of my grandma....here are a few....
*Her homemade bread...yum!
*The sleepovers we would have at her house, she would give us backrubs and right before we would fall asleep she would give us a swat on the bum!
*I could go to them with anything at any time. When I was dating a guy I would ask for advice from her.
*She loved working hard. She would mow the lawn pull the weeds and make lunch for everyone that was around.
*Playing 10 to 1 with her and the family....this was always so fun!
*When we were little she would take us to the Thrift Store and we could buy a little something for ourselves.
*She also used to take us to the old Thriftee and buy us a 10 cent bag of popcorn.
*She always complimented me on how I mothered....this meant alot coming from a mother who brought 9 kids into this world.



I know there are many more...but for now that is all. I am most sad for my dad and his siblings. I am so thankful for the atonment and the knowledge of this gospel.
Thank you Grandma for an awesome Legacy!

The viewing and the funeral are this weekend in Thatcher. I am looking foward to being with family and celebrating her life!


Many of my cousins and family have written some amazing tributes too....here are some of them.

www.denabean.blogspot.com
www.stoddardstuff.blogspot.com
www.acrichardsonfamily.blogspot.com
www.candjmcneill.blogspot.com

12 comments:

Marisa and Rob said...

Hey Leah, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Our prayer's will be with you and your family. Every time I think of my dad, I think how blessed we are to have the Gospel in our live's and that this is not the end. That we will see all our loved ones again. :)

Heather said...

She sounds like an amazing woman! I am sorry she passed but am happy she is where she is and that she had her family near her.

JLynn said...

Leah, your udall/herrington family is truly remarkable and so special. such great blessings to be a forever family. my thoughts are with you and your family during this time. memories are such a precious gift to have/hold onto and savor until we are reunited with the ones we love. how wonderful it is to have the knowledge of the plan of salvation. XOXO, jen

Celissa said...

O Leah, my heart goes out to you and your family. She really is an amazing woman and I'm sure is already continuing that missionary work! Our prayers are with you guys.

Amber H. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. It sounds like you have some amazing memories of her. What a blessing that we have forever families! I wish you all comfort and peace.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I sitting here crying with you. I can't help be cry when I know someone wonderful has passed on. It's times like these that I am most grateful for the gospel and it's power to help in hard times. She sounds like a blessing to all who knew her! Thanks for sharing her with me...

Rubalcavas said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandma...it was so neat to hear that the family was with her as she passed.

Angie said...

What a neat end to an amazing life. It's bittersweet to lose grandparents. I'm so glad she lived such a full and happy life and has such a great posterity to show for her hard work!

lofgreenlegacy said...

Sounds like an amazing woman, who led an amazing life.

quadmom said...

What an awesome tribute to your grandma! How neat Leah how you are able to write down some favorite memories of her!

Mary Ann said...

what a sweet tribute! your grandma was amazing! our prayers are with your family!

Meagan said...

I haven't ever seen that picture of me and grandma before and I must say, I absolutely lost control of myself for a minute there!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!
Call us and recieve a discount! 480-718-9820 www.theACdoctors.com

Little Livie

Little Livie
Sassy, spirited 3 year old

The Girls

The Girls

Mr. Clark

Mr. Clark
1 week old

The boys

The boys

Mr. Grant

Mr. Grant
1 week old

Blog Archive

Sweet Audree

Sweet Audree
Fun loving 3 year old

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

My Sweet Family

My Sweet Family