Thursday, October 21, 2010

Road Trip 2010~RV Vacation Part I

We just returned from the best family vacation ever!!! I think I am spoiled...I don't want to travel with my kiddos any other way now! Let me tell you, the RV is the way to go. It seriously felt like we drove and hour or two...no joke. We went through 5 states in 2 weeks and had a great time together as a family. It was just like a house on wheels, we read books, colored, played games, watched movies, took baths, ate meals....it was so much fun.

I took over 800+ pictures so to share the best I can I made a ton of collages....so click on the collage bigger to see more detail.

And were off.....ahhh....this is the life....tv going and the kids able to roam free....
Doug was such a great driver too....he is the man for sure!




We took the bed out of the back room and set up pack and plays back there. Doug also mounted a TV to the wall so the kids could lay down and watch a show....the girls are coloring in the top right hand picture....we bought new books and they loved coloring in them. Bottom right is the bathroom...so big and it was great not to have to stop every 2 hours for the kiddos.

....THE OPEN ROAD....
We drove through so much beauty! My little photographer heart almost couldn't handle it! The fields, the barns, the skies....ahh....so dreamy...


Our first stop was the Grand Canyon. We drove the RV up on Sunday and spent the night at a park by the Grand Canyon. Doug has never been....29 years old and lived in Az his whole life and never been to the Grand Canyon...we had to stop!





We hiked to the top of this tower with the kiddos...there was a great view. We stopped at the gift shop and bought some books and then were on our way....with 4 kiddos 1 hour at the Grand Canyon is enough.

Our next stop was Zion's National Park....it was raining so we didn't get out but drove through....it was beautiful too! The top right picture has some big horn sheep...see?

It rained allot on our trip....we saw a rainbow along the way....
Notice Clark the co-captain...all of the kiddos sat up front with Doug...and they loved it!


We spent the night at a KOA in Fillmore Utah and then drove to Provo the next day and stopped to see my brother Chris. He only had a few hours to hang so took him to lunch


Back on the road....we finished our day driving to Grandma's in Blackfoot Id. I even drove for an hour....Doug snapped these shots and I was telling him how to change the camera settings....tee hee....but it's proof I drove for a bit.

We made it. The whole purpose of this trip was to see my last living Grandma. She has Alzheimer's and is slowly deteriorating. This is their beautiful property.

Their lush green backyard is beautiful!! We spent the first night outside in the cool weather.



Grandma's house is DEFIANTLY not child proof....we had to put up many glass things she had around. The boys like turning the pencil sharpener...busy busy


We spent the night in the heavenly cool basement....ahhh...I really want a basement now! Day 2 was spent at the greenbelt next to the Idaho falls. Oh my goodness....so beautiful. Especially with all of the fall leaves around.

We stopped by the temple and visitors center.....it was fun to take the girls in and listen to their message.




Most of the trip we ate in the Rv but that night we stopped at Arctic Circle....my childhood favorite. I lived in Utah until I was 7 and remember going to Arctic Circle before the drive in movies. Their fry sauce is good....and their milkshakes...ahh.....


One morning we were getting ready and I was doing the girls hair...my Grandma turned to the girls and said, "Do you girls want to comb my hair?" So I went and grabbed her brush and the girls gently combed her hair. It was so sweet that I got out my camera and snapped a picture....it was a cute moment.




We also took a ride out on Grandpa's boat...but I forgot my camera. IT was short and sweet. The boys were scared. Also one day Doug, the girls and Grandpa Ray went fishing all day. So it was just me and Grandma  and the boys. Sometimes the boys were a little much for her. The crying was hard for her and the toys on the floor bothered her, but we did alright. I took the boys on a long nature walk that day and we spent the day playing with this treasure....I want Doug to build us one for Christmas...we had hours of fun with that toy.


Our last day there was spent at Bear world!! Sadly the rain came and we didn't stay very long....what a cool park though. You drive through and the bears are right there! You can also see the baby bears close up....
Here is a rare Albino Elk


And the bears....wow!

They had a fun petting zoo but unfortunately it was raining so much and the boys were getting cranky...we had to leave...darn!



And here they are! Our sweet hosts...my beautiful Grandparents! This is my Mom's mom and step dad. He does such a great job of taking care of her....we are so thankful for him. This trip gave me a deeper meaning of eternal perspective. I thought about what would be important to me when I am 81. My family, my testimony, and my health...It was wonderful to be around my Grandma even though she can't quite remember me. Every few minutes it was, "Who's kids are these? Are they twins? Oh my goodness! How do you do it? It's awfully hard to do." And my favorite is when she would burst into song..."I want to be in that number...when the saints go marching in!" And then a few minutes later the same questions. Her long term memory is good and she thought I was my mom most of the time while I was there....a great compliment.

Family is Everything....I am so grateful my children were able to meet their Great Grandparents. We can't wait to go back...Doug is already planning a hunting trip up there.

Part II coming Soon!

9 comments:

Loree said...

wahoo on part on of the ultimate road trip....rv style! can't wait to see more. :)

iheartmesa said...

We went to Prescott for one day. The whole time I was thinking of you and how awesome an RV trip out be. Do you own that RV now or did you guys rent from somewhere. I need details cause seriously, I told Ryan that this is gonna be our next vacation.

Also, you are lookin so stylish in all those pictures. Cute outfits. I need lessons.

-oh, this is Kathryn. Too lazy to sign out.

Jeff said...

Man! There are fall colors there. We need to get up to West Fork in Oak Creek for some fall color photography time. The trees ought to be ripe soon.

Rebecca said...

I love it! I've been anxiously awaiting these pics!
-Christi

Jill said...

That was fun! I felt like I was on vacation with you! You guys really pimped out that RV! Your kids wont ever want to be in car seats again!

Heather said...

Amazing! Such a wonderful trip and I am glad you had the comfy RV to ease the travel burden. I really love your gold candelabra behind the drivers seat. ;)

Your grandma is a sweetheart, I am so glad you got to make this trip. I am pretty sure my grandma had a marble thingy too. So fun.

Twins Squared said...

What a great trip! Your grandmother looks like such a sweet, happy lady! Sorry she has Alzheimers. I lost 2 grandparents to Alzheimers too. I remember my grandma would ask me the same questions over and over, bless her heart.

I'm glad y'all went to the Grand Canyon. Why is it we don't visit the places that we live nearby? I've lived in Houston almost my whole life and have never been to NASA.

Love all the pictures. The bears would have completely freaked me out!

The Moore Family said...

Oh Leah, that looks like such a great time! It also made me homesick for my hometown of IF, love it in the fall!

Amanda said...

i want to go see grandma.

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!

The Best A/C Guy in Town!!
Call us and recieve a discount! 480-718-9820 www.theACdoctors.com

Little Livie

Little Livie
Sassy, spirited 3 year old

The Girls

The Girls

Mr. Clark

Mr. Clark
1 week old

The boys

The boys

Mr. Grant

Mr. Grant
1 week old

Blog Archive

Sweet Audree

Sweet Audree
Fun loving 3 year old

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

I am married to my best friend and H.S. Sweetheart

My Sweet Family

My Sweet Family